School of Mechanical Engineering
Machine Dynamics Laboratory
Professor and Head of School
Events – News
· European Symposium of Computer Aided Process Engineering 29 – June 16-19 2019, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
· 21st International Conference on Process Integration, Modelling and Optimisation for Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction – PRES’19 – October 20-23, 2019, Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece.
· American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting, October 28 - November 2, 2018, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
· American Control Conference, July 10-12, 2019, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
· Book on Process Systems and Materials for CO2 Capture: Modelling, Design, Control and Integration, Wiley, 2017.
· Book in “Design, Optimization and Control of Stand-Alone Powers Systems using Renewable Energy Sources and Hydrogen Production”, Nova Publisher Inc., 2011.
· Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, Volume 16, Issue 7 is now available on SpringerLink. Guest Editors: P.S. Varbanov and P. Seferlis
· Applied Thermal Engineering, Special Issue in Process Integration. Guest Editors: J.J. Klemeš and P. Seferlis
Academic and Professional Opportunities for graduates
Master in Chemical Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1990).
Chemical Engineering from
Post-doctoral fellow at Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands (1997-99).
Appointed Researcher at the Chemical Process Engineering and Energy Resources Institute (CPERI) (2000-06) of the Centre for Research and Technology – Hellas (CERTH). Currently, an Adjunct Researcher at the Laboratory of Process Systems Design and Implementation of CPERI.
Joined the School of Mechanical Engineering of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in 2006. He is currently serving as Head of School of Mechanical Engineering (2015-20). AUTh Senate member (2015-16, 2018-20). Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Engineering (2017-20). Member of the Committee for European Educational Programmes (Erasmus Actions) since 2015.
My main research interests involve advanced model predictive control systems for process and mechanical systems, integrated system design and control, sensitivity analysis in optimization problems, and modelling, design, optimization and control of complex process and energy conversion systems.
Authored more than 180 articles in refereed journals and conference proceedings. Editor of two collective volumes in “The Integration of Process Design and Control” (Elsevier, 2004) and “Process Systems and Materials for CO2 Capture” (Wiley, 2017). Currently, serves as a member of the editorial board for journals “Chemical Product and Process Modelling” and “Chemical Engineering Transactions” (both cited by Scopus and Thomson-Reuters).
Associate Editor for Journal of Cleaner Production (Impact factor 2017: 5.715; 5-year impact factor: 6.207)
Guest Editor for special issues in the peer reviewed journals “Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy” and “Applied Thermal Engineering”. Served as a member of the scientific committee for numerous international conferences.
Currently involved in a number of research projects funded by the European Commission (DG Research) and the General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT).
Main current research activity:
Leader of the control team in the UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) Centre of AUTh.
MPU – Multirole Portable Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
NANOCAP - Design and experimental testing of innovative processes for CO2 capture and its use in industrial production of carbonate salt nano-particles (Τ1ΕΔK-02472)
GREENPAPER - Carbon emissions reduction from pulp and paper wastewater treatment plants using advanced control techniques (Τ1ΕΔK-02472)
ELECTRACCUM - Design and experimental evaluation of an electrodialysis unit for the purification of waste water from a chemical accumulator industry for the recovery of valuable ions
COOLUP – Systematic Design and Techno-Economic Evaluation of Advanced Heat-to-Cooling Systems for Upgrading the Qatari Cooling Infrastructure
EXA2PRO – Enhancing Programmability and Boosting Performance Portability for Exascale Computing Systems
Horizon 2020 Project ROLINCAP: Systematic Design and Testing of Advanced Rotating Packed Bed Processes and Phase-Change Solvents for Intensified Post-Combustion CO2 Capture (ROLINCAP)
National Action: Investigate – Create – Innovate: Design and experimental evaluation of innovative CO2 capture processes and use of CO2 in the production of carbonate salt nano-particles (NANOCAP)
FP7 Project CAPSOL: Design Technologies for Multi-scale Innovation and Integration in Post-Combustion CO2 Capture: From Molecules to Unit Operations and Integrated Plants (CAPSOL).
AUTh Open Courses: Automatic Control
Address: School of
Mechanical Engineering, Aristotle
Tel: +30 2310 994 229
Fax: +30 2310 996 029
Email: seferlis at auth dot gr