Bachelor Degree in Mathematics (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki).
Ph.D. Degree in Modelling and Simulation of Parallel Processing Systems (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki).
Computer Systems Modelling and Simulation, Performance Evaluation of Parallel and Distributed Systems, Multiprocessor Scheduling, Cluster Computing, Mobile Computing, Scheduling in Distributed Systems, Grid Computing, Distributed Ubiquitous Computing, High performance computing, Energy-efficient scheduling in large distributed systems and the grid, Cloud computing.
Best paper Awards
- The Best Paper Award of the 2021 International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (SPECTS'21), July 19-20, 2021.
G. L. Stavrinides and H. D. Karatza,
"Orchestrating bag-of-tasks applications with dynamically spawned tasks in a distributed environment".
- The Best Paper Award (Computer Systems Category) of the 2018 International Conference on Computer, Information and Telecommunication Systems (CITS 2018), Colmar, France, 11-13 July 2018.
G. L. Stavrinides and H. D. Karatza,
"Task Group Scheduling in Distributed Systems".
- The Best Paper Award (Computers Category) of the 2012 International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, SPECTS 2012, Genoa, Italy, July 8-11, 2012.
K. Karaoglanoglou, and H. Karatza,
"Directing Requests and Acquiring Knowledge in a Large-Scale Grid System".
- The Best Student Paper Award (local) of the 16th IEEE International Symposium on Computer Communications, June 28-July 1, 2011, Corfu, Greece.
I. Moschakis and H.D. Karatza
"Performance and Cost evaluation of Gang Scheduling in a Cloud Computing System with Job Migrations and Starvation Handling".
- The Best Paper Award of the 10th International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and
Telecommunication Systems (SPECTS 2007), San Diego, California, 2007.
"Performance of Gang Scheduling Policies in the Presence of Critical Sporadic Jobs in Distributed Systems".
- The Best Paper Award of 39th Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS 2006), Huntsville, Alabama, 2006.
Constandinos X. Mavromoustakis and Helen D. Karatza
"Swarm-based Active Tunable Routing for Overhead Reduction in Multiservice networks".
Other Awards - Recognition
- Included in world's top-scientists in "Data for updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators" 2020.
AUTH Press Release (gr):
- Editor of the Year (2017) for the Journal of Systems and Software, Elsevier.
- Distinguished Service Award in Recognition of Significant Contributions to and Distinguished Service in Support of the Society Resulting in the Growth, Prestige and Success of SCS Journals and the Overall Organization (Helen Karatza, Former Editor-in-Chief for SCS Journals), 2009.
- Award for leadership and contributions for the success of the 2008 Spring Simulation Multiconference, April 14-17, Ottawa, Canada, The Society for Modeling and Simulation International.
- Modelling, Simulation and Performance Evaluation and Analysis of Parallel and Distributed Systems
- Distributed Processing in Grids and Clouds
- Editor-in-Chief of Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Elsevier
- Former Senior Associate Editor for Computer Systems of the Journal of Systems and Software, Elsevier
- Former Editor-in-Chief: SIMULATION, TRANSACTIONS of The Society for Modeling and Simulation International, Sage Publications, SCS.
- Editorial Board Member of Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier.
- Former Associate Editor of the ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation.
- Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Systems and Software, Elsevier.
- Special Issues Editor
- Conference organization activities
- Board of Directors at Large, The Society for Modelling and Simulation International (SCS), San Diego, CA. (1rst elected (Rank 1)), June 2009 - June 2011.
- Management Committee Member - National representative: COST Action: "IC1305 Network for Sustainable Ultrascale Computing (NESUS)". (Cost approval: 15/11/2013 - End of Action: 14/11/2017).
- Management Committee Member - National representative: COST Action: "IC0805 Open European Network for High Performance Computing on Complex Environments". (From 1 December 2008 - Duration: 4 years).
- Member of the COST Action: IC1406 High-Performance Modelling and Simulation for Big Data Applications (cHiPSet), 2015 - 2019.
Department of Computer Science at :
- the University of Manchester,
- the City University of London,
- the York University of Ontario, Canada,
- the University of Edinburgh,
- Arizona State University (ASU, Tempe).
Membership of Professional Societies
- Senior Member of IEEE
- Senior Member of ACM
- Senior Member of SCS