Born in Athens, Dr. Vasiliki Sarli studied chemistry at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece, where she graduated in 1998. She won a Greek state award and a Greek Chemical Society award for top graduating student. She did her master degree and was a doctoral research scientist in synthetic organic chemistry and biochemistry at the same university. In 1999 she received a scholarship from the Greek state Scholarship’s Foundation in ‘Chemistry of Bioorganic and Pharmaceutical Products’ and obtained her PhD in organic synthesis in 2004. During her studies, she worked on the development of new synthetic methods for the preparation of alkaloids, aza-C-disaccharides and azasugars as inhibitors of glycosidases and the synthesis of unnatural α-aminoacids. Then she had a Post-Doc position at the Institute of Organic Chemistry within the University of Leipzig in Germany and worked as a Marie Curie fellow for Prof. Dr. A. Giannis group. Her research has combined different disciplines, such as organic chemistry, biology and biochemistry. She had the opportunity to enter the area of chemical biology working on the design and development of enzyme inhibitors by using chemical tools to elucidate mechanisms of intracellular signalling pathways. She worked on the development of bioactive compounds such kinesin and kinase inhibitors as anticancer agents and synthesized compound libraries. During her Post-Doc, she was able to cooperate with biologists from EMBL in Heidelberg and Max Plank institute of Munich. In 2006, she was a member of the team that completed the total synthesis of the natural product cyclopamine and studied the biological effects of small molecule inhibitors of Smo in Hedgehog pathway. In 2008, Dr Sarli returned to Aristotle University and she is currently an assistant professor in the department of chemistry. She has worked in the total synthesis of natural products such as (±)-marinopyrrole A, phaeosphaeride A and B, lynamicins and marineosins. In 2014, she guided a project for the development of DKK1/LRP6 interaction inhibitors as potential agents for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease and related neurodegenerative tauopathies. Currently, her research besides the synthesis of small bioactive molecules (e.g. 3,6-disubstituted 1,2,4-triazolo-[3,4-b]-1,3,4-thiadiazoles) includes the synthesis of new drug conjugates based on azasteroids or peptides for targeted drug delivery in cancer therapy.
39. S Thysiadis, S Katsamakas, P Dalezis, T Chatzisideri, D Trafalis, V Sarli. Novel c(RGDyK)-based conjugates of POPAM and 5-fluorouracil for integrin-targeted cancer therapy.Future Med Chem. 2017, 9(18), 2181-2196.
38. T Chatzisideri, S Thysiadis, S Katsamakas, P Dalezis, I Sigala, T Lazarides, E Nikolakaki, D Trafalis, OA Gederaas , M Lindgren, V Sarli. Synthesis and biological evaluation of a Platinum(II)-c(RGDyK) conjugate for integrin-targeted photodynamic photodynamic therapy. Eur J Med Chem. 2017, 141, 221-231
37. VP Demertzidou, S Pappa, V Sarli, AL Zografos. Regioselective Ene-Type Allylic Chlorination of Electron-Rich Alkenes by Activated DMSO. J Org Chem. 2017, 82(16), 8710-8715.
36. S Katsamakas, AL Zografos, V Sarli, Advances of Phenoxazines: Synthesis, Reactivity and their Medicinal Applications. Curr Med Chem. 2016, 23(26), 2972-2999.
35. DT Trafalis, A Polonifi, P Dalezis, N Nikoleousakos, S Katsamakas, V Sarli. Targeting on Poly(ADP-ribose)polymerase activity with DNA damaging hybrid lactam-steroid alkylators in wild type and BRCA1 mutated ovarian cancer cells, Chem Biol Drug Des 2017, 90(5), 854-866.
34. S Katsamakas, T Chatzisideri, S Thysiadis, V Sarli. RGD-mediated delivery of small-molecule drugs, Future Med Chem 2017, 9(6), 579-604.
33. I Sigala, G Ganidis, S Thysiadis, AL Zografos, T Giannakouros, V Sarli, E Nikolakaki. Lynamicin D an Antimicrobial Natural Product affects Splicing by Inducing the Expression of SR Protein Kinase 1. Bioorg Med Chem 2017, 25, 1622-1629.
32. G Charitos, DT Trafalis, P Dalezis, C Potamitis, V Sarli, P Zoumpoulakis, C Camoutsis. Synthesis and anticancer activity of novel 3,4-disubstituted 1,2,4-triazolo-[3,4b]-1,3,4-thiadiazole derivatives. Arabian J Chem 2016, In Press.
31. S Katsamakas, AL Zografos, V Sarli. Advances of Phenoxazines: Synthesis, Reactivity and Their Medicinal Applications. Curr Med Chem 2016, 23, 2972-2999.
30. D Trafalis, E Geromichalou, P Dalezis, V Sarli. Synthesis and evaluation of new steroidal lactam conjugates with aniline mustards as potential antileukemic therapeutics. Steroids 2016, 115, 1-8
29. S Thysiadis, S Mpousis, N Avramidis, S Katsamakas, A Balomenos, R Remelli, S Efthimiopoulos, V Sarli. Discovery of Novel Phenoxazinone Derivatives as DKK1/LRP6 Interaction Inhibitors Bioorg Med Chem. 2016, 24(5), 1014-1022.
28. T Katsina, EE Anagnostaki, F Mitsa, V Sarli, AL Zografos. Palladium-catalyzed direct alkenylation of 4-hydroxy-2-pyridones RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 6978-6982.
27. S Mpousis, S Thysiadis, N Avramidis, S Katsamakas, S Efthimiopoulos, V Sarli. Synthesis and evaluation of gallocyanine dyes as potential agents for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease and related neurodegenerative tauopathies. Eur J Med Chem. 2016, 108, 28-38.
26. M Grammatikopoulou, S Thysiadis, V Sarli. Gold-catalyzed spiro-N,O-ketal synthesis, Org Biomol Chem. 2015, 13, 1169.
25. A Chatzimpaloglou, M Kolosov, TK Eckols, DJ Tweardy, Sarli V. Synthetic and biological studies of phaeosphaerides J Org Chem. 2014, 79, 4043.
24. A Chatzimpaloglou, MP Yavropoulou, KE Rooij, R Biedermann, U Mueller, S Kaskel, V Sarli, Total synthesis and biological activity of the proposed structure of phaeosphaeride A, J Org Chem, 2012, 77, 9659.
23. A Voultsiadou, V Sarli, Recent Advances of Kinesin Motor Inhibitors and their Clinical Progress, Rev Recent Clin Trials, 2011, 6, 271.
22. S Tcherniuk, S Deshayes, V Sarli, G Divita, A Abrieu, UA62784 is a cytotoxic inhibitor of microtubules, not CENP-E, Chem Biol. 2011, 18, 631.
21. ZS Massen, E Coutouli-Argyropoulou, VC Sarli, JK Gallos, Synthesis of a protected trihydroxyindolizidine 3-carboxylate via a hetero-Diels-Alder addition of ethyl 2-nitrosoacrylate to a d-ribose-derived exo-glycal, Carbohydrate Research 2011, 346, 508.
20. ZS Massen, VC Sarli, E Coutouli-Argyropoulou, JK Gallos, Synthesis of C-glycosylated amino acids by hetero-Diels-Alder addition of ethyl 2-nitrosoacrylate to exo-glycals, Carbohydrate Research 2011, 346, 230.
19. A Kanakis, V Sarli, Total synthesis of (±)-Marinopyrrole A via Copper-Mediated N-Arylation, Org Lett. 2010, 12, 4872.
18. A Giannis, P Heretsch, V Sarli, A Stößel, Synthesis of Cyclopamine Using a Biomimetic and Diastereoselective Approach, Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2009, 48, 7911.
17. A Buttner, K Seifert, T Cottin, V Sarli, L Tzagkaroulaki, S Scholz, A Giannis. Synthesis and biological evaluation of SANT-2 and analogues as inhibitors of the hedgehog signaling pathway. Bioorg Med Chem. 2009, 15, 4943.
16. V Sarli, A Giannis, Targeting KSP: Basic Principles and Clinical Implications, CCR Molecular Pathways, Clin Cancer Res. 2008, 14, 7583.
15. S Mann, V Sarli, A Giannis, Convenient Synthesis of Functionalized Furans, Synthesis, 2008, 2617.
14. M Tsanakopoulou, T Cottin, A Büttner, V Sarli, E Malamidou-Xenikaki, S Spyroudis, A Giannis, Indeno[1,2-d]pyrido[1,2-a]pyrimidines: A New Class of Receptor Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors, ChemMedChem. 2008, 3, 429.
13. V Sarli, A Giannis, Selective inhibition of CBP/p300 HAT, Chem Biol. 2007, 14, 605.
12. C Muller, D Gross, V Sarli, M Gartner, A Giannis, G Bernhardt, A Buschauer, Inhibitors of kinesin Eg5: antiproliferative activity of monastrol analogues against human glioblastoma cells, Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 2007, 59, 157.
11. NG Argyropoulos, VC Sarli, M Gdaniec, Synthesis of Pyrrolizidine Derivatives by 1,3-Dipolar Cycloaddition Reactions of Chiral Five-Membered Cyclic Azomethine Ylides, Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2006, 3738.
10. M Liu, R Aneja, C Liu, L Sun, J Gao, H. Wang, JT Dong, V Sarli, A Giannis, HC Joshi, J Zhou, Inhibition of the mitotic kinesin Eg5 upregulates Hsp70 through the PI3K/Akt pathway in multiple myeloma cells, J. Biol. Chem. 2006, 281, 18090.
9. V Sarli, A Giannis, Inhibitors of Mitotic Kinesins: Next Generation Antimitotics, ChemMedChem, 2006, 1, 293.
8. VC Sarli, S Huemmer, N Sunder-Plassmann, TU Mayer, A Giannis, Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Novel Eg5 Inhibitors, ChemBioChem, 2005, 6, 2005.
7. N Sunder-Plassmann, VC Sarli, M Gartner, M Utz, J Seiler, S Huemmer, TU Mayer, T Surrey, A. Giannis, Synthesis and biological evaluation of new tetrahydro-β-carbolines as inhibitors of the mitotic kinesin Eg5, Biοorg. Med. Chem. 2005, 13, 6094.
6. JK Gallos, VC Sarli, YS Masen, AC Varvogli, CZ Papadoyanni, SD Papaspyrou, NG Argyropoulos, A new strategy for the stereoselective synthesis of unnatural α-amino acids, Tetrahedron, 2005, 61, 565.
5. NG Argyropoulos, VC Sarli, Synthesis of a branched chain aza-C-disaccharide via the cycloaddition of a chiral nitrone to an alkene, both sugar derivatives, Tetrahedron Lett. 2004, 45, 4237.
4. JK Gallos, VC Sarli, AC Varvogli, CZ Papadogianni, SD Papaspyrou, NG Argyropoulos, The Hetero-Diels-Alder Addition of Ethyl 2-Nitrosoacrylate to Electron Rich Alkenes as a Route to Unnatural α-Amino Acids, Tetrahedron Lett. 2003, 44, 3905.
3. JK Gallos, VC Sarli, CI Stathakis, TV Koftis, VR Nachmia, E Coutouli-Argyropoulou, Hetero-Diels-Alder additions to pent-4-enofuranosides: concise synthesis of hydroxylated pyrrolizidines, Tetrahedron, 2002, 58, 9351.
2. JK Gallos, VC Sarli, TV Koftis, E. Coutouli-Argyropoulou, A New Entry to Hydroxylated Pyrrolizidines, Tetrahedron Lett., 2000, 41, 4819.
1. JK Gallos, TV Koftis, VC Sarli, KE Litinas, A Straightforward Synthesis of Perbenzylated Conduritols from Alditols by Ring Closing Olefin Metathesis, J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 1, 1999, 3075.
Patents:‘Quinazoline derivatives, process for their preparation, their use as antimitotics, and pharmaceutical compositions comprising said derivatives’. T. Surrey, A. Giannis, I. Vernos, M. Gartner, N. Sunder-Plassmann, V. Sarli, T. Mayer, S. Huemmer, European Patent Application filed. 2006, Patent No: WO/2006/048308
‘Kinesin motor inhibitors as effective anti-cancer drugs’ in the book ‘Checkpoint Responses and Cancer Therapy’, part of the series Cancer Drug Discovery and Development from The Humana Press, Inc; 2008 USA.
‘Transition-metal-catalyzed asymmetric C–C cross-couplings in stereoselective synthesis’ in the book ‘Stereoselective Synthesis of Drugs and Natural Products’, Wiley, John & Sons, 2013.