School of Mechanical Engineering
Machine Dynamics Laboratory
Events – News
· Master’s Programme in Turbomachinery Aeromechanics – THRUST Applications deadline for academic year 2017-18 January 16th, 2017.
· European Symposium of Computer Aided Process Engineering 27 – October 1-5 2017, Barcelona, Spain.
· 20th International Conference on Process Integration, Modelling and Optimisation for Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction – PRES’17 – August 21-24, 2017, Tianjin, P. R. China.
· American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting, October 29 - November 3, 2017, Minneapolis, MN, USA.
· American Control Conference, May 24-16, 2017, Seattle, WA, USA.
· Book on Process Systems and Materials for CO2 Capture: Modelling, Design, Control and Integration, Wiley, 2017.
· Book in “Design, Optimization and Control of Stand-Alone Powers Systems using Renewable Energy Sources and Hydrogen Production”, Nova Publisher Inc., 2011.
· Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, Volume 16, Issue 7 is now available on SpringerLink. Guest Editors: P.S. Varbanov and P. Seferlis
· Applied Thermal Engineering, Special Issue in Process Integration. Guest Editors: J.J. Klemeš and P. Seferlis
Academic and Professional Opportunities for graduates
Ph.D. in Chemical
Post-doctoral fellow at Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands (1997-99).
Researcher at Chemical Process Engineering and Energy Resources Institute (CPERI) (2000-06). Currently, a collaborating researcher with the Laboratory of Process Systems Design and Implementation of CPERI.
Joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki as Assistant Professor in 2006 (tenured in 2011). Associate Professor since 2014. Head of School of Mechanical Engineering.
Main research interests involve advanced model predictive control systems for process and mechanical systems, integrated system design and control, sensitivity analysis in optimization problems, and modeling, design, optimization and control of complex process and energy conversion systems.
Authored more than 150 articles in refereed journals, conference proceedings and edited books. Currently, serves as a member of the editorial board for journals “Chemical Product and Process Modelling” and “Chemical Engineering Transactions” (both cited by Scopus and Thomson-Reuters).
Associate Editor for Journal of Cleaner Production (Impact factor 2016: 5.715; 5-year impact factor: 6.207)
Guest Editor for special issues in the peer reviewed journals “Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy” and “Applied Thermal Engineering”. Served as a member of the scientific committee for numerous international conferences.
Currently involved in a number of research projects funded by the European Commission (DG Research) and the General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT).
Main current research activity:
FP7 Project CAPSOL: Design Technologies for Multi-scale Innovation and Integration in Post-Combustion CO2 Capture: From Molecules to Unit Operations and Integrated Plants
Horizon 2020 Project ROLINCAP: Systematic Design and Testing of Advanced Rotating Packed Bed Processes and Phase-Change Solvents for Intensified Post-Combustion CO2 Capture (ROLINCAP)
AUTh Open Courses: Automatic Control
Address: School of Mechanical Engineering, Aristotle
Tel: +30 2310 994 229
Fax: +30 2310 996 029
Email: seferlis at auth dot gr